Tuesday, August 30, 2016

A Practice in Being Present: Roller Coasters

I feel like an energetic Disney World is right around the corner. I'm on the precipice of great things, just not quite yet. It's the feeling you get as you're sitting strapped down in a roller coaster car. You're secretly hoping everything goes as it usually does in it's proper motion, and you don't get stuck somewhere on the tracks and have to wait for hours to be rescued dangling high above the air. It's the moment when you feel the weight, pressure, gravity, force, and pull as your hear the clicks and chinks going up, up, up and your body hunkers down in the seat.

And then it seems as if time is standing still. There's the anticipation of the thrilling free-fall and sense of freedom and relief. Then there's elation and a bit of, "What did I just get myself into? What did I sign myself up for? Too late now!"

And then before you know it you're twisting and turning, looping quickly around and you come to a sudden stop and a slow reeling in until you're fully back to the platform. It's time to get out & you're still processing what just happened. "Was I present in the moment? Was I absent or disconnected from my body? Where were my thoughts?"

I'm guessing most passengers don't psychoanalyze the experience and just go a long with the ride. Now I'm noticing I take myself too seriously in my attempt to assign meaning to something that is designed to be a journey and not a final destination. It's designed to be a momentary pleasure that can be relieved over and over for the sheer joy of it. *Screeching halt & a face palm...

Now what? Oh, I need to get out of my head and into my heart. I need to get out more and play for the fun of it. I need to practice letting go of what I think something does or doesn't mean and let it be. I'll have to let you know what magical things I learn from jumping out of an airplane when that day comes. Until then, be silly, play until your heart is full, and sing a happy song and see what comes along. Carpe diem my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment